I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that the "we" that Torkild referred to having created the logo was the project team. If that is the case, then we can reasonable argue that it is in scope and under the supervision of the PMC (and so can just be checked into the project code repository).

If you're just not sure, then it's never really wrong to create a CQ (or connect with the IP Team) to check.

Wayne

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2017-09-14 5:22 PM, Billings, Jay Jay wrote:
I was under the impression that new logos needed to go through the CQ process? We had to do that for the new ICE logo that is on its webpage.

I could be wrong, but the main thing that we care about is that there is a paper trail to support that the logo was provided to the project under the terms of that project's license(s).

There are two things at play here:
  1. Document that the new logo is to be associated with the project's trademark. That pulls it under the protection of the Eclipse Trademark Guidelines.
  2. Document that the copyright of the bits that make up the logo have been provided under the correct open source license(s).

We may need to improve our documentation around this....

Jay

Jay Jay Billings
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Twitter Handle: @jayjaybillings