[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [ide-dev] Benefits of integration with code server and new generic editor for average Eclipse user

Aleksandar,


I understand that it is open source project and you decide what to implement. The reason why I wrote my original email and sent it to "ide-dev" (not "jdt-dev") was to express personal frustration. Frustration that some new things which require not trivial efforts are added to Eclipse IDE (as a whole) while many things which can give more value (from my personal point of view) to vast majority of existing Eclipse IDE users in their everyday work are left without attention.

The second reason of frustration is that many such improvements are pushed back year after year. And when I got message that two issues I was talking about are planned for 4.7 I already was almost sure that nothing will happen. Because one of the issues I was referring to was reported back in 2013 and another was created in in 2014.

If I do not miss anything main replies I've got to my initial email are:
*you are wrong and don't get it (it was about C# support)
*wait another year
*"The current user base isn't necessarily what drives all of us."
and two more from your email:
*it's not us. It is other people's responsibility
*if you want it's done do it yourself

Serhiy

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:


----- Original Message -----
> From: "Serhiy" <4bugzilla@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Discussions about the IDE" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 5:43:31 PM
> Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Benefits of integration with code server and new generic editor for average Eclipse user
>
> Dear ide-dev,

Hi Serhiy,

>
> Last year I sent you couple of emails because of my personal frustration that
> at the time that you was discussing new generic code editor while some long
> requested improvements to existing editors (for example
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=405113 and
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=443091 ) are not touched by
> anyone for years.

The new generic editor is in and it starts to fill gaps - patch, target file editors and literally opening the door for easily adding support for the plethora of DSLs everyframework comes with nowadays and etc.

>
> My first message
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ide-dev/msg01273.html
>
> I was told told many thing and one of them was just to wait another year
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ide-dev/msg01284.html
> but frankly speaking I had very serious doubts
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ide-dev/msg01278.html

There seems to be some big misunderstanding. The people that work(ed) on the generic editor are not JDT developers so them spending their time on JDT could have had same effect as if anyone else did it (e.g. you?). I understand this might not be satisfiable answer for you. I would still say that it is better call if someone can deliver a feature he/she would better do it and people with interest in another piece of the code should jump and improve there.

>
> And I am absolutely positive that the next thing which will happen with these
> missing features is that they will be moved to the next release and after
> that to the next release and so on.
>
> The main reason why I am writing this email is to ask you not to put any
> target milestones and not to assign issues to people if no one is really
> going to ever bother. It is just about proper expectations from the very
> beginning.

4.7 is not yet done there are good few months of development still. Yet again this is something that JDT committers and contributors should work on and give details about.

And patches are always welcome :).

>
> Serhiy
>
> _______________________________________________
> ide-dev mailing list
> ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from
> this list, visit
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ide-dev

--
Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team
_______________________________________________
ide-dev mailing list
ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ide-dev