[ide-dev] JVMTI & Automated Error Reporting

* I'm cross-posting this to cross-project-issues-dev, epp-dev, and ide-dev hoping to reach out to the right people on these lists*

Greetings Eclipse committers,

I got the feedback from some committers that triaging automated error reports w/o knowing the actual values of the local variables can be cumbersome. I thus started to look for a solution to this problem.

One promising solution could be to register an agent (written in C) that uses the JVMTI interface to inspect the current stack frames and save all local variables whenever an exception is thrown. This information then could be made available in an error report or IStatus object.

My problem is that I don’t know anything about JVMTI nor have any experience writing VM agents in C nor building these agents for the common OS (Mac, Win, Linux). I wonder if there is anyone on this list who has this particular knowledge (or knows someone who has) and can help with this.

If so, please let me know. I think it would be a tremendous improvement to Eclipse (not just Automated Error Reporting if the values would be logged along with the IStatus object) and help us to save hours of debugging.

Thanks in advance,
Marcel

Back to the top