[higgins-dev] Re: Getting started with IdAS?

On #1, exactly right.

On #2, right again.  There's a refactoring of the IdAS registry underway and part of that work is to allow xrds sections to be used for configuration.  While no one has proposed limiting CP configuration to this method, it may become a defacto standard.

On #3:  Bandit began as an open-source project with goals similar to, but more general than those of Higgins (before Bandit knew of Higgins).  It's goal was to host open-source component useful for identity-based solutions.  Bandit components that duplicated a planned Higgins component have largely been re-located to Higgins.  A few other components remain at Bandit.  So for example, you'll see pages on Bandit like http://www.bandit-project.org/index.php/Common_Identity.  Well, one pass was made at this and then it was decided to move efforts into Higgins IdAS.  Other components like CASA, OpenXDAS, and Role Engine remain a part of the Bandit project.  Novell's role is that it hosts the Bandit project, and some of its developers participate in the Bandit project, Higgins project, or both.

Jim

>>> "Marc Boorshtein" <mboorshtein@xxxxxxxxx> 3/10/07 9:44 AM >>>
All,

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.  I think I'm
starting to understand IdAS and Higgins.  I still have a few questions
though based on observations:

1.  IdAS - It appears to me (I may be stating the obvious here) that
the IdAS is not so much a service in the sence that OpenLDAP/MySQL/...
are services but instead its a collection of interfaces and a registry
for interacting with backend sources that must be utilized by a higher
level "service" to be useful.  Is this correct?

2.  Configuration - Each CP is responsible for it's own configuration.
The only thing in "common" between context providers is that each one
is passed a URI in order to point to a config.  I have read the Novell
config schema and see that it it hard coded to work with either LDAP
or XML based resources.  I also saw that it is likely to change.  Is
there a "common configuration" subproject in the works or some type of
"best practices" for configuration design?  If every CP has it's own
config model I would think deployment of a complex IdAS based system
could be interesting.

3.  Bandit and Higgins - This one still confuses me.  What exactly is
the relationship between Novell <-> Bandit <-> Higgins?  Is Bandit
meant to be an opensource web access/authentication system with
higgins providing the core components?  Is Bandit the beginnings of a
new Novell product?

Thanks
Marc