RE: [gmt-dev] how to cooperate

Hi Zalkind

The whole GMT team were able to get together at OOPSLA last week, where our
very preliminary prototype was demonstrated.

We were very mich encouraged by the recognition that we have already
achieved and
the number of significant contributions that may soon be available to GMT.

We now have a much clearer idea of how GMT must be structured as a very
Open Framework within which diverse contributions can coexist.

We hope to have a much-revised Software Architecture Specification out
shortly
that will reflect this clear direction. Watch this space. We hope that this
framework
can be established rapidly for a very limited number of transformation
engines/languages
and repository formats. Expansion can them proceed by providing
transformations
between the diverse interface standards of current tools. Full MDA support
will require
a large library of largely unwritten transformations ideally wrtitten to
comply with the as yet
very undefined QVT abstract syntax. Our framework must therefore support
non-standard
languages and look to provide transformations from early QVT prototype
languges to
the eventual standard. There will be plenty to do, your help is very
welcome.

Texture mappings are a particular class of transformation following the MDA
pattern
in which a primary input (PIM) is transformed to a primary output (PSM)
under the
inflence of a Platform Model and Mark Model. Texture mappings therefore form
the
very important part of a library of transformations that support MDA.

There are no academic papers on GMT, however there are two papers on UMLX,
which
is one of many QVT prototype languages that will be supported by the
framework.

<http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/gmt-home/doc/umlx/M4M03.pdf?re
v=HEAD>
<http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/gmt-home/doc/umlx/M4M03.pdf?re
v=HEAD>.

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/gmt-home/doc/umlx/Oopsla2003.pd
f?rev=HEAD
<http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/gmt-home/doc/umlx/Oopsla2003.p
df?rev=HEAD>

        Regards

              Ed Willink

E.D.Willink,                             Email: mailto:EdWillink@xxxxxxx
<mailto:EdWillink@xxxxxxx>
Thales Research and Technology (UK) Ltd, Tel:  +44 118 923 8278 (direct)
Worton Drive,                            or  +44 118 986 8601 (ext 8278)
Worton Grange Business Park,             Fax:  +44 118 923 8399
Reading,   RG2 0SB
ENGLAND          http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/personal/pg/E.Willink
<http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/personal/pg/E.Willink>