Re: [equinox-dev] .qualifier for export package?

> > > Here are some obvious questions:
> > >
> > > * How are @since tags formatted to indicate that the version number
> > > corresponds to packages vs. bundles?
> >
> > If there is a package version then the @since should always reference
> > the package version exported in my opinion.
>
> Right, but since package versions will now evolve independently of bundle
> versions, should the package name also appear in the @since tag - like
> "@since org.eclipse.jdt.debug.model 3.4". Else, when just looking at the
> Javadoc, consumers of an API will not know if they need a required bundle
> or a package import.

Good point.  I'm not sure what the answer is here.  It seems like both
pieces of information are needed, one for developers using
Import-Package and one for developers using Require-Bundle.  We are not
adding package versions to prevent developers from using Require-Bundle,
instead we need to add package versions to enable developers to use
Import-Package.  Using Import-Package on an unversioned package should
not be done.

> > > * How are initial package versions derived for existing bundles?
> >
> > The simple answer here is to seed the package versions with the
> > bundle's version.  This makes some sense because using the Eclipse
> > versioning rules today the API packages from a single bundle are
> > versioned together as one unit using the Bundle-Version.
>
> Another option is to use the highest @since tag in the package. If a most
> recent since tag in a package is 3.1, it could start at 3.1 instead of
> 3.5.

True, this is another option.  I was going for simple, but your suggestion
may make more sense.

Tom

Back to the top