Re: [emft-dev] [EMFatic] Alignment with OCLinEcore

Just to clarify, I was thinking of text (that is UTF) persistence for all of these. In these sense that for some people apparently at least ;) xml is actually a text based language. Even for the dense data structures I was still thinking of text..imagine packing data into multiple blocks of tab-delimited tables for example.

On formatting, just a thought, but I'm struck by how formatting has actually become almost to be seen as damage in language. There is a settled canonical formatting scheme -- and as other's have pointed out, text indenting is not really a great  place to express one's creativity. ;) This is true to the extent that I wish that the VCS had no respect for formatting, as for me it would avoid the annoyance of CVS reporting as changed all of my EMF code because I ran it through my formatter and for example got rid of missing brackets in if..else.. usages.

While I agree with you that traditional programs don't make good sense as database artifacts or what have you, I actually am taking a broader view of model instances. Think CDO for example, or a context where you want to do heavy inference across generated data. There all kinds of persistence and distribution schemes and so on could be needed and it would be good to have a generic way to make the decision about what scheme to use transparent to the user. But I don't think we're at the point of the evolution of these toolsets yet where we could make that kind of design decision anyway.