Re: [emft-dev] Contribution to EMF-Compare as a Master's Thesis

Hi Tobias,

Any kind of contribution is obviously welcome!

It really depend on your own interests but here are the challenges I can think
of  (both intellectualy and practically interesting) :

* Differences representation and integration in graphical modelers : this one
is tricky in the sense that we did not figured out yet what is the best
representation of differences for the end user. That's part of the reason why
we define many API so that other plugins may refactor the way differences are
kept and displayed. The user quickly ends up with many differences and the
classical hierarchical way of representing models doesn't fit with the user
expectations, there's obviously room for improvements.

Correlated to this subject is "how we can visualize differences in a graphical
modeler", it's not a technical concern as it doesn't seems like GMF is a
blocker for that, it's more, there again, about what we need to display,
where, and how, to help the user manage the model evolutions.

The Ecore Tools guys want to integrate emf compare in the Ecore modeler, this
could be a nice testbed for ideas concerning the graphical representations.

* Huge models management : the current implementation of the
GenericMatchEngine is not able to handle huge models, (by huge models I mean
more than 1GB ones) because the principles and algorithms are just not rights
for such data. Another interesting subject could be to provides an
alternative match engines for such models.

That's two subjects I can think of but of course it's up to you, just to let
you know on the "research" side we'll work in the following month with the
Aquila University (Italy) on a model representation of the differences
(models changeset/patch) providing the same features as the textual patch
format (with fuzzy searchs and stuffs like that) but all the other areas are
opened for experimentation :)

In a nutshell, the first subject I described seems to fit quite nicely with
your "part 2", the second one is just another area in which we know we have
some progress to do but whatever you want to focus on we would gladly help
you !

You can use this mailling-list or come on the #eclipse-modeling IRC chan for
live discussions, Laurent is "Kellindil" there and I'm "Tortoose".

Cheers,

Cédric