webmaster opened the issue
since they want to get rid of Gerrit in favor of gitlab or github.
I would personally prefer to continue using Gerrit for several reasons:
- I clearly prefer the commit-centric review style Gerrit implements over branch-centric PRs or MRs
- I don't want to lose all the invaluable review comments we collected during the last 12 years developing in Gerrit.
- Gerrit runs on JGit and we should eat our own dog food
- I am a Gerrit maintainer (so I am biased)
What's your opinion?
Options if we want to continue using Gerrit and webmaster doesn't provide it anymore:
- Take over the Eclipse gerrit instance on a project managed vserver at Eclipse and run it ourselves. That's how we started using Gerrit at Eclipse before the webmaster took it over.
- Move our repositories to a public managed Gerrit site. GerritForge signaled they would be willing to host a Gerrit instance for Eclipse.