Re: AW: [eclipselink-users] @ElementCollection with @Embeddables

Hi Rafal,

Please enter a bug. The issue is with our DDL generation. The "SomeMap" table does not have the correct type for SomeENtity_ID.

The workaround is to use our option of generating the DDL as a sql-script, then to edit the sql-script and run it against the DB.

-Tom

Swierzynski, Rafal wrote:
Hi Tom,

yes, I am using the auto generated DDL. The statements are (I omit drops and the sequence table):
CREATE TABLE SOMEENTITY (ID BIGINT NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (ID))
CREATE TABLE SomeMap (VALUE VARCHAR(255), KEY VARCHAR(255), SomeEntity_ID VARCHAR(255))

The insert statements are (after // is what gets bound to the parameters):
INSERT INTO SOMEENTITY (ID) VALUES (?) // bind => [1]
INSERT INTO SomeMap (SomeEntity_ID, VALUE, KEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?) // bind => [1, stół, pl]
INSERT INTO SomeMap (SomeEntity_ID, VALUE, KEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?) // bind => [1, table, en]
INSERT INTO SomeMap (SomeEntity_ID, VALUE, KEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?) // bind => [1, Tish, de]

And eventually, the selects:
SELECT ID FROM SOMEENTITY WHERE (ID = ?) // bind => [1]
SELECT VALUE, KEY FROM SomeMap WHERE (SomeEntity_ID = ?) // bind => [1]

And the last one results in this:
ERROR: operator does not exist: character varying = bigint
  Hint: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.
'character varying' is the data type of the SomeMap.PERSON_ID column as reported by PGadmin, so it means it is the PostgreSQL name for VARCHAR.

In the DDL the SomeMap.SomeEntity_ID foreign key is of type VARCHAR whereas SomeEntity.id is BIGINT. I didn't think of looking in this direction, I thought my mapping was wrong, but I couldn't figure out what is wrong. We don't have such an issue as we don't use EL DDL in production.
I had a similar issue with Map collection.

Does this mean it is a EclipseLink DDL generation issue? If not, what else do I need to do to make this work?

Regards,
Rafał