[eclipselink-dev] @OneToMany with not nullable foreign key and OUTER JOIN to Secondary Table

Hi Gordon,

I am sorry to posting this into the dev list, but probably you can shortly help me with two following issues:

1.  @OneToMany with not nullable foreign key
I have a problem to use unidirectional OneToMany in case if foreign key in second table is not nullable.

Sample: Entities Transaction and Card are related as OneToMany
@Entity
@Table(name = "TRANS", schema="TEST")
public class TransactionType {
        @OneToMany(cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
        @JoinColumn(name="TRANS_ID")
        public java.util.Set<Card> getCards() {
                return cards;
        }
}

@Entity
@Table(name = "CARD", schema="TEST")
public class CardUseTypeJAXB {
}

The problem is that TRANS_ID column in CARD table is not nullable.
Eclipse Link generates three SQL statements:
1) INSERT INTO TEST.TRANS (URN, NAME) VALUES (?, ?)
     bind => [28, 0000001Z]
2) INSERT INTO TEST.CARD (URN, NUMBER) VALUES (?, ?)
  bind => [6, 12345]
3) UPDATE TEST.CARD SET TRANS_ID ? WHERE (URN = ?)

The third statements throws exception if TRANS_ID column is not nullable: Column 'TRANS_ID' doesn't accept Null value. (with nullable column all works fine).
Unfortunately I cannot change the DB schema.
Is there any way to solve this problem?

2. OUTER JOIN to Secondary Table
Use case: There is a main employee table that may or may not have some extra data populated in a related secondary table. If there is data in the secondary table (@SecondaryTable), then I would like my Employee entity to have those fields filled in. If there isn't data for a given employee in the secondary table, then I would like my Employee entity to have nulls in those fields. Right now, if there's no row in the secondary table for a given employee, I get nothing.
I cannot use OneToOne relation for this case, because mapping is defined directly for one business domain object.

Unfortunately I cannot find acceptable solution for it.
Is INNER JOIN for Secondary Table fixed by design?

Reagrds and thanks,
Andrei.

Back to the top