|Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Simultaneous Release Brainstorming|
I finally find the time to prepare the possible schedule for the post photon releases according to :
* 13 weeks cadence as proposed by Nick (solution 1 & 2)
* 12 weeks cadence as discussed durinig our last call (solution 3)
You can find the two possibility on this document : https://docs.google.com/spread
sheets/d/1BZywK-gKbK-fmcEkxv55 0OHmw01xEN07RK9LMPSE40g/edit? usp=sharing
I will send this email to cross project this week to share our plan with the whole community :
The Planning Council proposes to change the simultaneous release cadence after Photon to give up with the year long ramp-up to the release for a rolling release.
After Photon :
* The releases will occur almost every xx weeks.
* All the work will be done only on one stream.
* And that only one repository will be used that will be continuously updated. A stable "latest" update site will be used to allow the user to update continuously.
* Specific update sites will be available to reference any release. No composite repos will be built.
* The opt-in process will evolve, mostly projects would be assumed "in" and someone will take care of cleaning the outdated projects from time to time.
* It would be possible to add, update and remove API on any release.
The following release cycle planning is proposed:
C1 Friday Week 3 Checkpoint
M1 Friday Week x
C2 Friday Week x
RC1 Friday Week x API & Feature freeze
RC2 Friday Week x, it is assumed all code is done by the end of RC2.
GA Wednesday Week 12
Due to this rolling release, our yearly code name pattern does not make sense anymore. Consequently, we propose a yearly.monthly pattern, for instance the releases after Photon would be :
Eclipse 2018.09, Eclipse 2018.12, Eclipse 2019.03, Eclipse 2019.06...
What do you think?
Thanks for your reviews and comments,
+33 7 87 69 42 84
+33 5 34 57 16 29
25 Boulevard Victor Hugo - Colomiers - France
eclipse.org-planning-council mailing list
IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal to the Eclipse Foundation. To be permanently removed from this list, you must contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.
Back to the top