Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Real names in git commit messages

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:13 AM Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
if you blindly merge contributions from an anonymous contributor (eg., "someone1234") today and without checking with at least your project leadership first, I'd say your are clearly violating your responsibilities as a committer. At least that's my expectation of the situation as it is today.

I already merged relatively anonymous commits (ie there are some contributors I didn't know the name before merging), and those contributors have been extremely valuable. Rejecting the commits for a reason I don't care about would have been a major mistake in term of project and community development.
If the Foundation or EDP has constraints to put, then the Foundation must try its best to take the responsibility of checking those constraints, this should not be delegated to committers or contributors by default (in some case, no alternative can be found, but when alternative exist, it had to be be preferred and implemented with high priority to keep community efficient and project productive).
In that case, there is the CLA check. If CLA was signed and approved by the Foundation, I assume it's good enough. If it's not good enough, then it has to become good enough so it's not a burden to me as a reviewer who doesn't care about the name of the contributors (judge code, not people).

EMO has to serve its members (including committers), not the other way round.
--
Mickael Istria