Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] PMC-less projects

This is not going to happen. The notion of a PMC is baked into the Bylaws and most of our policies.

With the IP Policy changes, we're basically removing the PMC from the CQ approval game so that they can focus their energies on more interesting matters.

With the IP Policy changes, projects will not have to wait for CQs to be approved before content can be leveraged. We'll have to resolve all content before a release, but during a development cycle, a project team can just grab and use anything so long as they have reasonable comfort that the content is license compatible with the project license. With the changes, engagement with the IP team to resolve issues with content will need to be resolved before a release, they are not immediate blockers. i.e., PMC engagement will not be a blocker.

The EMO depends on the various PMCs to understand their project landscape. The EMO does monitor the activeness of projects, and will reap stale projects, but we depend on the PMC--as an important part of the project leadership chain--to have a deeper understanding of the projects under their purview and take an active role in the health and welfare. Ultimately, PMCs are responsible for ensuring that the projects in their purview are following the various rules. Some PMCs are more engaged than others.

Wayne