[eclipse.org-architecture-council] Future of the Automated Error Reporter Infrastructure (AERI)

Greetings Architecture Council.

I assume that many of you are familiar with the Automated Error Reporting Infrastructure (AERI). AERI manifests as plug-ins for the Eclipse Platform and a server portion that runs on a vserver. Both of these components have been run and supported by the Eclipse Code Recommenders project.

By way of background, Eclipse Code Recommenders dropped out of the Simultaneous Release following the December 2018 release and has since moved into a state where it has no active committers. I've slated it for a termination review on October 2/2019.

Note that the vserver that runs the AERI server was shut down a few days ago. Since the plug-in have not been part of the simultaneous release since 2019-03, recent packages are unaffected. AFAICT, older versions of the packages that do include the error reporter plug-ins seem--to in the very limited testing that I've done--fail gracefully.

The question, then, is what do we do now?

Do you feel that AERI provides a valuable service that we should collectively invest in?

If yes, where is the right home for the AERI Eclipse Platform plug-ins (i.e., what other Eclipse project; volunteers only, please)?

I believe that the right thing to do would be to have the Eclipse IT team take over responsibility for the server. This will require time and energy that could not be used on other efforts. If you feel that AERI is valuable, at what relative priority (low/medium/high) do you put it relative to other services that the Eclipse IT team provides/could provide? Are there other options?

Thanks for your input,

Wayne
--

Wayne Beaton

Director of Open Source Projects | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Back to the top