Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse Development Process 2018

I tend to think of Top-Level Project as a specialization of Project. We actually (for now) have one Top-Level Project (BIRT) that is basically just a Project at the root level. In the more general sense, a Top-Level Project does have resources and so has a concept of committers; in the general case, a TLP could have code, but (with that one exception), none do.

"Project" is that it's a bit of an abstract notion. I can point to a team of committers, or reference a Git repository. How do a I point to a Project? e.g., a website, or a PMI page isn't a "Project". I do think that it is an "organizational unit" in that it provides a means of talking about all the sorts of things that a project has and does in the aggregate, but I can see how that might be limiting.

Ultimately, I think that it's primarily about the people. Project is, I think, a notion that binds a team of Committers working together with a common goal (that's why I injected the word "Scope").

I tried to include a link to the Bug where we started this discussion but had a little trouble with my mail software yesterday and--apparently--failed miserably.

Wayne