Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse Development Process 2018

I am not sure how much we want to codify versioning semantics, it is our intention for Jetty 10 to cease all mention of Milestone or Release Candidate in versioning and communication.  This is in large part to a complete misunderstanding within the community as to what these things mean outside of OSGI users.  We have seen far too many people completely confused by 9.4.12.RC0 or 9.4.12.M0 notations and for some reason taking those to be 'higher quality' then 9.4.12.v20180830 which has been our release notation since we entered Eclipse.  We'll be going back to alpha and beta notations for Jetty 10.

I think part of the confusion comes from, again, that definition of Release vs release.  For Jetty it has always been one in the same, we have no meta roll up Release that lots of artifacts bundle up into that gets versioned differently (like versioning of artifacts in Eclipse have x.y.z.stamp, but Eclipse itself has 4.x).  Outside of osgi users our experience has been that doing the versioning we were advised to follow when entering Eclipse has been needlessly complex.  Personally, I don't understand how anyone could think that RC0 or M0 are production releases but we have seen it way more than we like.  I think the primary argument against the .v20180830 type notation is that people conflate it with maven snapshot versioning and they get scared so they use RC or M versioning.  Again, I don't understand how people come to that conclusion but the fact of the matter is they do and our plans to solve that problem in Jetty 10 is by abandoning the whole concept of RC and M release notation.

cheers,
Jesse

--
jesse mcconnell