Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] PMC Approval Lag?

Yup, the idea is that the project rep pushes their cause but there is still a bit broader understanding. It is absolutely not about control but about communication and coordination.

Tools is indeed under staffed for the number of projects.

I'm not sure that putting the AC in there is the right move.  I think it mixes the agendas and mission. Certainly there are AC members who could be on the Tools PMC but i'm not sure that the AC as a whole should be the PMC (or even on the PMC).

Jeff

On 2010-04-01, at 1:15 PM, John Arthorne wrote:

Thanks, I wasn't aware that the RT PMC disallowed that.  I can see both sides of the argument - you certainly want the entire PMC to have visibility on the goings-on in each sub-project. But having a representative from each member project on the PMC presumably helps make sure that things keep moving forward in each sub-project? At the very least it ensures that the size of the PMC is proportional to the number of sub-projects so the PMC doesn't become too overloaded with approval requests. Again, I have no idea what the problems are on the Tools project, but thought that it had a relatively small PMC with quite a lot of sub-projects, and that might be causing some of the delays that started this thread off.

John

Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/01/2010 12:18 PM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-architecture-council"        <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] PMC Approval Lag?

Whoa there big fella! The RT PMC *explicitly* disallows PMC members from approving their own stuff for exactly the reason that it renders meaningless PMC oversight and visibility. We see great value in one PMC member explaining things to other(s). The reason for having each project represented is to facilitate communication and coordination between the RT projects. Ultimately we want to present RT to the world as some at least modestly coordinated affair. Each of the RT projects has their own cut on that and we want those different viewpoints to be represented. Each project's PMC member represents their project and pushes their agenda but not to the exclusion of discussion and explanation.

Jeff