Re: [eclipse-pmc] Windows SWT patch reviews

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 11:25 AM Niraj Modi <niraj.modi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Alex,
The gerrit query that you have shared doesn't give the correct picture, as there are patches in the list that already have responses.

Apart from https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/139609/which came to my notice last week all other patches are basically cleanup which IMHO doesn't become top priority immediately.
Lot of time goes into review of big cleanup patches and due to possible side effects it can cause and thorough testing needed, also we need to put time fixing regression as Lars made a mention of one such case in his note: https://www.eclipse.org/lists/eclipse-pmc/msg03649.html

Cleanup patches are important in order to get new contributors - if you look at the GTK port for an example lately we have contributions from a number of new people but this started to happen only after we updated the codebase to a recent enough GTK API so I do believe that such patches are of higher value and priority for the longevity of the project than a fix for a rare bug. At least I can say for sure that it worked the way I say it in the GTK port.

 You may remember, we had already invested time and effort to have Conrad to be a Platform committer in the past. But, he is no longer active.

Sure, that's what life is :). Companies hire people, invest in them and at the end  they can leave too. With sufficient tries you get people that stay.

 I welcome other platform committers to pitch-in for review of these patches.
Also, one important point for committership cleanup patches are not enough, we need bug fixes and I'm happy to review them.

 Also, I wonder why this mail was not sent to platform-dev list(and sent only to pmc list)

IMHO, Windows is quite important platform and we are severly lacking resources on it and two weeks ago on the PMC call we discussed about adding SVG/XPM/... images support on linux only initially (M2 contribution should have them) and this will require some effort to be done on other platforms too (Windows matter more than Mac IMHO). As I see you fully booked with Windows work and the patch queue grows we can not expect you to do more and this is when we (PMC) should step in and do smth to help.

Regards,
Niraj Modi