I’m a committer on the Platform and was asked to work on the reimagined Welcome/Intro described in bug 466370
. The work is in two parts:
- It introduces a new Solstice-based theme for the Welcome/Intro pages, similar to what’s used in the eclipse.org pages.
- It also re-imagines the ‘home’ start page to provide a set of useful starting actions for new (and possibly grizzled) developers; I’ve called these “quicklinks”.
I’ve included a small snapshot it below.
Three things to notice:
- We’ve moved the page references (Overview, Tutorials, Samples, What’s New) to the right side
- We’ve added a set of ‘quicklinks’ for commonly-used commands (left side)
- We’ve brought in the always-show component (lower right), which defaults to “always show on restart”
The work is currently pending on CQ 10824
against platform.ui (gerrit
) and we’ll need a similar CQ for use of the icons for EPP. This needs PMC sign-off before it can proceed further.
This work is opt-in. The goal is for the EPP packages to use it, once approved.
I’ve put up a changeset on Gerrit
to implement the change above for the Java package as an example. What you need to do:
- Include the org.eclipse.intro.theme.solstice feature: it includes two bundles, org.eclipse.ui.intro.solstice and org.eclipse.ui.intro.quicklinks, that implement the theme and the quicklinks component, respectively.
- Change your plugin_customization.ini to point org.eclipse.ui.intro/INTRO_THEME = org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal.solstice
- Configure your desired quicklinks using the org.eclipse.ui.intro.quicklinks extension point. These leverage the existing Eclipse Core Commands (e.g., the org.eclipse.ui.newWizard command).