Re: [eclipse-mirrors] Re: [carsten@xxxxxxxxx: [ftpsync-eclipse-ftp@ftp] (28382) rsync ERROR on 2010.05.28-09:29:48]

Hi,

We do care -- but we don't always work on the weekends unless there's an emergency. In Europe you get Monday morning's daylight at least 5 hours before I do.

To answer some questions:

1. You will occasionally get permissions errors on your RSYNC. We have almost 1000 committers that can put files in the download area. We set the umasks to allow for world-readable by default, but with 1000 committers, something is bound to happen. If you can ignore the permissions errors, I'd suggest you do so.

-> We have over 1.7 million files in our download area -- not all of them are mirrored to you. With this amount of files it is difficult for us to automatically fix permissions. We used to do it, but now it's just tedious and it doesn't guarantee you'll never see errors.

2. As for disk space, we are approaching our June release train, where 30+ projects are putting out a new major release all at the same time. Many stable/release candidate builds are cropping up in the downloads area, and many will be deleted/moved once the release is over.

-> If you are exceeding disk space limits, please exclude one or more top-level directories, such as /tools, /technology, /eclipse, and so on. Our crawler looks for your top-level directories, so removing at the top-level will de-list your mirror for that top-level automatically.

-> I will bring the issue up with our project teams once again, in hopes that some clean-up can occur.

I will understand if the above constraints prevent you from maintaining an Eclipse mirror, but I do thank you all for your continued efforts and support towards the Eclipse community.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me directly at webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx to keep list noise low.

Denis