[eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Avoiding Bloat

Boris wrote:

> I have written a blog post about the bloat topic:
> http://borisoneclipse.blogspot.com/2008/10/avoiding-bloat.html
Great posting!

It inspired me to think about another potential reason for bloat:
duplication of graphics, images and NLS Strings

We do have ISharedImages, but more often than not a plugin
is forced to duplicate some image or resource String because
the original owner of that image or String is (rightfully) hiding
that resource and doesn't want to expose it as API.

But isn't that a development-time / installation-time restriction
only? Why do we need to bother the plugins at runtime with
duplicates of the same Strings and images getting loaded
into Memory, in multiple ImageRegistries etc... I'd not be
surprised if we could get rid of a good deal of the "Running out
of PermGen Space" issue with a different approach to loading
Images and Strings at runtime.

I'm thinking about a SINGLE ImageRegistry / StringRegistry
(could also be a database), from which plugins can acquire
an image/String by means of a Key (that could be an int
number, for instance). At the time a bundle is installed, all
its images / Strings are placed into the common Database.
Clients get a Key in return, which they can use at runtime
to retrieve their data. Identical data is collapsed.

Sounds interesting? Or am I missing something? Uninstalling
a bundle would certainly not be easy, and I guess that the
String and Image database would likely be an add-only thing
to avoid lifecycle issues.

I think we should work on the Wiki pages, adding additional
ideas for reducing Bloat as we find them. I'm just struggling
to find time for that...

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top