From: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Milinkovich
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:50 PM
To: 'E4 developer list'
Subject: RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] CSS and declarative UI round up

I am curious if there is a consensus around this point of backwards compatibility. I understand that not achieving backwards compatibility has negative ramifications for existing adopters. But applying the straitjacket too tightly could mean that little to no innovation can occur, which has even larger negative ramifications in the long term.

Is there a consensus one way or another from the E4 team? I’ve scanned the E4 Summit materials and did not see any explicit conclusion on this point.

I am expecting that this effort will not undermine the existing platform look & feel that SWT/JFace default to or break backwards compatibility.

We have a lot of products built on this platform, backwards compatibility is effectively mandatory.

Back to the top