RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] 3.X API and e4

Martin, at this point I think the answer is "We'll see". We can loosely break the API into a few types of methods:

Querys: All the 'get<xxx>' and 'is<yyy>' - at the end of the day we should be able to answer these directly from some part of the WB Model (and thanks Kim, having this available is going to help drive the model's definition...;-)

Operations: methods that actually cause things to happen - The model-based version would have the functionality backing these methods implemented as Commands/Handlers that the API legacy support would invoke.

Hooks: All the Listener type API; including the RCP's Advisors; anything that requires 'callback' handling...The handling for these is less straightforward. For any particular listener 'pool' (I.e. perspective listeners) we can presumably create a WB model listener that listens for the equivalent change in the new WB model and forwards the corresponding legacy event to its listeners. I'm expecting that we'll get at least a few ordering issues however, places where the event order in the new world may not match that of the legacy WB. For these I think that rather than complicate the new code we should tackle these as they arise.

Onwards,
Eric

"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/27/2008 05:29 PM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"E4 developer list" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] 3.X API and e4

Thanks Kim,

I'm just wondering how that is related to the work on
http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/Eclipse_Application_Model

My understanding was that the goal of this also was
to come up with a bird's eye view of the Services
and their API's, also in order to harmonize them?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm