[eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] mission statement

Hi all,

I've been following this mailing list for a while and I'll be honest, I'm still not clear what E4 is trying to achieve at a high level though I can see there are lots of great ideas being bantered around, plus I've talked to a few of you about how E4 might share some goals with the Solstice platform that I developed for Arum Systems.

Today I read this article:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/05/e4-summit

The linked article implies that E4 is about making the IDE deployable over web and seems to be the perception that the community is starting to develop.

I feel that this is certainly part of it, but to me it is more about giving RCP additional options for which platforms they can target, web being one of them.  The IDE is an RCP application after all, so showing that it can be deployed on the web is an obvious demonstration, but might be confusing the community slightly.

In addition to this E4 also seems to be about adding new features and rationalising the great features that have already been added to the Eclipse platform to date.

The Vision page actually appears to answer some of the points I'm raising, but perhaps it needs a bit more visibility.  It would be good if someone could write a brief mission statement on the main E4 page and link to the Vision page for more information.  I'm not volunteering! =P

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

Back to the top