[eclipse-dev] Fwd: RFC: Eclipse TLP migration to Github

Hi @Dirk,
that has been answered in google doc:

"The choices we are given are GitHub or GitLab - workflow wise there
is not much of a difference but GitHub sounds like a better option as
a great number of potential contributors already have accounts at
GitHub and that would facilitate onboarding new people."

IMO GitHub/Gitlab is the way to go. Regarding vendor lock-in, well
that is git repository, you can migrate to some other place very
easily. I would love to see Gerrit to be as intuitive as Github, but
it isn't. In terms of attracting more developers... As a small eclipse
plugin open source developer I see that is not the case as I got just
a few pull-requests, but... raising bugs is way easier for other
mortals.

What I would recommend if you haven't decided yet where to host a
solution is to try the GitLab Open Source Program as it brings more
traction right now.
https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/join/

I am a bit vendor-locked as my company where I work on a daily basis
decided to go with all open-source projects with GitHub.

All the best,
Pawel

pt., 15 paź 2021 o 11:16 Dirk Fauth via eclipse-dev