Re: [eclipse-dev] Suggestion to move the XML editor to Eclipse platform?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Carsten Reckord <reckord@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > What's the goal here?
> > (1) ensure every Eclipse installation has a good XML editor?
> > (2) allow all plug-ins, even in the platform, to build specialized editors
> > on top of a shared XML editor?
>
> IMHO the goal should be (2), for two reasons:
>
> 1) Consistency: Get rid of all the differently looking and behaving XML editors that we currently have (Ant, Maven, plugin.xml, categories.xml, *.product, ...)
>
> 2) Extensibility: Provide a good base XML editor that can easily be extended for new adaptors to build on (this is probably farther away, as I imagine it would require refactoring the existing XML editor on top of the new extensible editor)

+1

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To me, all this topic about XML is not worth the (huge) effort right now if
> the goal is to please end-users. The current state isn't that bad, and if
> things have to change, contributing in WTP is still doable.
> --
> Mickael Istria

I do not agree.
I think the quality of the most used editors are telling a lot about
the quality of the IDE.
Eclipse, OOTB, has a great JAVA editor, but lacks support to most used
data formats: XML and JSON.
IMHO, thi is more important to users, wrt a fancy* UI. (*I did not say
functional)

Best Regards,
Patrik Suzzi
Software Engineer, Eclipse