[ecf-dev] ECF builds and Helios contributions as we approach Helios release

Hi Folks,

Just so things are clearer (I hope), I want to describe what is/will happen with the ECF SDK build both now and over the next few weeks prior to Helios.

ECF's Hudson/Buckminster Builder

First, ECF's Hudson/Buckminster builder is available here [1].

If you go to this URL, you will see that there are a number of different Hudson jobs...those that start with 'C' are continuous builds (i.e. triggered by CVS checkins), those that start with 'N' are nightly, those that start with 'I' are platform integration (i.e. the core/filetransfer part of ECF...that goes out with p2/Equinox/Eclipse platform), 'L' for linked...these are mostly automated test jobs, and finally 'R' for release builds.

If you go to the dashboard for a particular build (for example C-HEAD-sdk.feature at [2]), you will see a Build History on the left. If you click on one of the previously (but recently) done builds, e.g. [3] you will see a link at the top: 'Build Artifacts'. Under this link is both a folder containing the p2 repo output and a zip of the p2 repo. If you wish, you can easily download the zip, unzip to local disk and then add the repository to Eclipse and install...i.e. to test the install or work with a more recent version of ECF (not yet released, but without having to get/compile/use the ECF source).

Helios Build Contribution(s) from ECF

As part of the Helios Simultaneous release process [4], ECF contributes a built *and signed* version of our plugins to the Helios simultaneous release. We do so by contributing a p2 repo...and our contributed repo for Helios is available here [5]. If you wish, you can also install from this repository as well simply by adding this repository URL to your Eclipse and using the update manager ui. This repository updated with a new version periodically by me (every couple of days now...and probably getting more frequent as we approach Helios). Once Helios is released, we will (of course) have a repo and zip also available via our own download page [6]. But this will simply be a copy of what is made available to the Helios builder [5].

Everyone is encouraged to help with install testing prior to release by installing from [5]...and reporting any install issues/problems via new bug reports. Having many people test out the builds and report issues (from as many environments as possible) will be most helpful.

ECF 3.3 Release Branch

In approx 2 weeks, we will create a new branch called: Release_3_3 and create a new Hudson job that builds from this branch (instead of R-HEAD-sdk.feature from HEAD). Only *at that point*, HEAD will be opened up for development for subsequent ECF releasese (i.e. 3.4 and beyond). Until that branch is created please do not add or change anything on HEAD other than reported bugs. That is, for the next two weeks, please everyone focus on testing, reporting bugs, and fixing bugs prior to the 3.3/Helios release. No API changes, no new features may be added to HEAD until after the branch as been created and HEAD opened up for longer term changes. If anyone has questions about any of this, please feel free to ask. Thanks for your help and cooperation. Helios is going to be a very exciting release for ECF.

Scott

[1] https://build.ecf-project.org/hudson/  or https://ecf2.osuosl.org/hudson
[2] https://build.ecf-project.org/hudson/job/C-HEAD-sdk.feature/
[3] https://build.ecf-project.org/hudson/job/C-HEAD-sdk.feature/1029/