Re: [e4-dev] Can ESelectionService propagate selection to 3.x legacy views?

Yes, that clarifies things.
Basically this will guide our strategy for migrating from 3.x to 4.x, where some parts are "stuck" on the compatibility layer (such as GEF editors). The rest can be migrated, just need to be careful to ensure that services such as selection only has to flow from the legacy parts to the pure 4.x parts then.

Thanks,
--Fredrik

On 16/3-2012 15:07 , Remy Suen wrote:

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Fredrik Attebrant <fredrik.attebrant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some trials shows that a "pure 4.x" part can detect selection changes in a
> 3.x part.
> However, when applying a change of selection from a "pure 4.x" view, I fail
> to detect it in a 3.x view.
>
> Thus, does the ESelectionService trigger changes in the "legacy selection"
> framework?

This is not possible. Consider 3.x's ISelectionListener interface.

--- public void selectionChanged(IWorkbenchPart part, ISelection selection);

In 4.x, the backing objects are not implementations of IWorkbenchPart so this wouldn't work (unless we sent in null).

Does this make sense, Fredrik?

Regards,
Remy