Re: [e4-dev] Adding new View by update

On 24-Nov-2011, at 2:00 AM, Thomas Kratz wrote:
> no I don't have such options (no such menu) in my app. Users cannot change the perspective. I just want to bring up the new view after the p2 update in the otherwise static perspective. Is it clear now?

That's what I thought.  As I understand it, the perspective definition is only used to populate a page layout when first created.

Two other approaches that might work, in addition to Remy's suggestions.

1. Start up the app with "clearPersistedState" (either as a command-line argument or as an application property).  This will ignore your deltas.xml and cause the perspective to be set up anew each time.  On the downside, your users' settings (e.g., window sizes, view re-arrangements) won't be restored.

2. I'm not 100% certain of the following, but if memory serves me, I believe view configured using a perspectiveExtension are shown in existing workbench pages on the next startup.

      <perspectiveExtension targetID="org.eclipse.jdt.ui.JavaPerspective">
         <view
               ratio="0.5"
               relative="org.eclipse.ui.views.TaskList"
               relationship="right"
               id="ca.ubc.cs.ferret.views.QueriesDossier">
         </view>
      </perspectiveExtension>

Brian.

Back to the top