Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] Status of core/ui separation?

Martin,

We're looking at using RSE to handle PTP's resource manager connections to remote hosts, and need to be able to run commands on these machines, read stdin/stdout from the commands, possibly transfer files, etc. All of this will happen largely without user intervention, so we don't need the RSE perspective or views. PTP will be responsible for the views used to manage the connections, and persisting the connection information. We also don't really want users to have to worry about the notion of system profiles either, just the host name of the remote machine.

I guess the ultimate objective is to make accessing services on remote machines no different than if the machine is local. This also applies to the editing/building/indexing activities of CDT. Sure the user will have to choose the type of project model they want to use in a new project wizard page (edit locally/build remote, edit/build remote, etc.) but once they've made this choice, the UI should not look any different. I don't know if this is feasible or not, but I think it's where we need to be aiming.

Greg