Are you or anyone from the eRCP project attending this?

Doug

Feed: Planet Eclipse
Posted on: Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:17 AM
Author: Jeff McAffer
Subject: Jeff McAffer: Eclipse Runtime Technologies Summit

Seems like we’ve had a real run on summits lately. Equinox and CDT summits, the Eclipse Summit Europe, OS Summit Asia is coming up and now the Eclipse Summit on Runtime Technologies and Platforms is being planned. The casual observer could quite reasonably be confused by all this summiting. Let me explain a bit about the latest Runtime Summit.

First, it is becoming clear that Eclipse has a lot of really significant runtime related technology in its projects. I recently asked Eclipse committers to list the runtime related work in their projects on the Runtime Technology Catalog wiki page. Within hours the page had quite a few entries and I’m sure there are still more to come. Looking over the list you see things like Equinox (of course), ECF, EclipseLink, RAP, SwordFish, Riena, eRCP, … In many cases these are significant chunks of production quality code specifically for aimed at runtime scenarios.

Having noticed this trend, the Foundation and a few project leads thought it would be a good idea to get together the interested parties and plot a course for what clearly is an accelerating trend. And so the Runtime Summit was born.

The main goal of the summit is to understand and coordinate the various Eclipse runtime technologies. What technologies do we have at Eclipse today? What is coming? How are they related? What is happening in these technologies? How will they affect other parts of Eclipse? How can the Eclipse community be mustered to make the most of these trends? All of these are questions we hope to discuss at the summit.

This event is not intended to be a technical discussion (well, lets be real, we’re techies so that is inevitable but it is not the driving purpose). Rather, a higher level survey, coordination, strategy discussion between stakeholders. If you think you are one of these stakeholders and would like to contribute concretely to this event, check out the registration details on the summit wiki page.

Note that this has been a bit late coming together. The deadline for discounted hotel bookings is actually today!

See you there…

View article...

Back to the top