RE: [Dltk-dev] TCL - Extracting a call graph

Hello Phil,

First of all thank you very much for kind words about DLTK, and for raising very interesting issue about developing tools on top of the DLTK.

In fact there are a lot of facilities inside DLTK, which are vital to build different tools such as code analysis, etc. In middle term (after DLTK 1.0) we’re dreaming to give developers possibility to access these DLTK (and Eclipse Platform) facilities and services using scripts in languages supported by DLTK (and having corresponding JVM-based interpreter such as jacl for TCL or JRuby for Ruby). This would allow end-users (developers) to extend DLTK and implement tools of their choice much easily. But such tools still will be hosted by Eclipse…

If you’re looking for a solution outside the Eclipse my thoughts are following:

Technically it would not be easy (and I think unreasonable) to decouple DLTK from Eclipse Platform and move some code out to use without Eclipse. However it’s relatively easy to assemble headless DLTK distribution on top of OSGi and Eclipse, which could be used in different scenarios like tool with command-line interface or some kind of stateful server having access to your codebase and performing your tasks on the code.

Both approaches are not mutually exclusive (although headless DLTK shall be “extended” with your code). At the moment Java is definitely possible to add new functionality on top of DLTK, in future I hope there will be a possibility to extend DLTK with TCL and other languages.

As for your idea to build a call graphs for tcl files, if headless eclipse if OK for you, we’d be happy to help to assemble headless DLTK and I’ll ask TCL folks to show you entry points and give some ideas how such a graph builder could be implemented.

Kind Regards,

Andrey Platov