Re: [cdt-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proposal for cdt resources decoration.

Hi Sergei, and all,

I’m afraid the proposed new decoration might create a bit of confusion for the user, and might also create visual clutter.

Here are a few concerns I have with it:

  1. If we overload the same decoration which we currently use for buildable resources explicitly excluded from build (using the “Exclude from Build” action), we might make it difficult for user to tell these explicitly excluded resources apart from resources decorated as proposed below.  I think this would create confusion.
  2. We would create unnecessary visual clutter for projects that have many build-configurations.  If there are ten build-configurations, nine of them will have to be decorated as proposed below.
  3. The first screenshot showed dot-resources decorated as “excluded from build”.  We would definitely confuse the user if any non-buildable resources are decorated as “excluded from build”.

I think the above concerns would be addressed if we introduced a new visual decoration instead of re-using the “excluded from build” decoration.  I think it would look cleaner if the active build-configuration’s folder were simply decorated with the label “ [active]”, for example.  I.e. decorate only the single active folder (but none of its child resources).  I think that would look a lot cleaner and be more intuitive and self-explanatory.

Thanks,

- Baltasar