Re: [cdt-dev] Cmake support

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 5:52 PM 15 knots <fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Do., 23. Jan. 2020 um 21:11 Uhr schrieb Jonah Graham
<jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 16:40, 15 knots <fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Much of the rest of your email seems to be at issue with whether this becomes a part of CDT itself. As I am primarily interested in sustainability of the ecosystem, whether it is in the CDT repo or not is unimportant to me. Having good collaboration and governance of such projects that ensure their viability beyond a single maintainer's time is much more important.

Currently I am the only maintainer of cmake4eclipse. When I will have
lost interest in it, I will mark it as for adoption on github. Since
the code is documented, it should be easy for new maintainers to step
in.

>> > Are you still willing to consider that - and join the Eclipse CDT project as a committer to help with ongoing maintenance? What I would expect is that we deprecate & remove the existing cmake implementation in Eclipse CDT and include only the one you developed starting in CDT 10. That would mean that cmake4eclipse is shipped to all CDT users via the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers package on eclipse.org/download.

When Doug announced the new core build, I indeed considered to port my
code to core build. But I saw that core build already had cmake
support. But what really distracted me was the complete lack of
documentation in the new core build code.
IMHO, the lack of documentation in the code is the cause why CDT does
not attract any new maintainers.

But well, if someone would set up a *documented* project frame for me,
I could try to fill in the holes.

>> cmake4eclipse is for managed buld. AFAIK from this list, managed buld
>> is going to be phased out. I do not hink it is worth the effort of
>> moving it to eclipse foundation.
>

> The GME plug-ins, which use managed make, are currently being migrated to the Eclipse Foundation umbrella and I am really pleased with that. GME plug-ins are staying as their own project, with their own leadership and code/issues are staying on GitHub too.

Could not find any reference to GME. Is that for core build?

>> If the CDT team want good cmake support for CDT managed build,
>> wouldn't it be possible to add one of the cmake4eclipse download repos
>> on bintray [2] to the CDT product? These are build from pristine
>> sources on travis-ci..org. Or just mirror the github repo inside
>> Eclipse foundation and build & publish it there?
>

> This has been discussed in the past. The Eclipse CDT project probably can't itself depend on cmake4eclipse as we would have quite a circular dependency!
>
> However the "Eclipse for C/C++ Developers" on the eclipse.org/download site is downstream for CDT. It may be possible to add cmake4eclipse into there, but I don't know the current licensing plans on such requirements. AFAIK in the past it was virtually impossible.

Well, maybe I was misunderstood here. Although my plugin is well known
and in the marketplace, some users do not find it and ask for cmake
support here.
To make it easier to find the plugin, its repo URL could be added in
org.eclipse.cdt.sdk feature.xml on the sites to visit tab.

It can be done but it has to be for exact cmake4eclipse version and after CQ is approved - but if you do that cmake4eclipse can be included in the CDT repo even.

Or I could start shameless advertising here. Each time a user asks for
cmake support for managed build. I could tell them of my plugin.

Martin