Re: [cdt-dev] Cmake support

Hi Jonah,

Am Mi., 22. Jan. 2020 um 17:11 Uhr schrieb Jonah Graham
<jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Martin,
>
> In the past you have expressed a willingness to contribute cmake4eclipse to the CDT project?

IIRC, I was willing to place the Editor *cmakeed* under the Eclipse
foundation with its own update site, but not as a *CDT* project. The
fortran guys might want the editor too, as well as people who want to
integrate/install it in a CDT-derived IDE (e.g. Nvidia Insight).

> Are you still willing to consider that - and join the Eclipse CDT project as a committer to help with ongoing maintenance? What I would expect is that we deprecate & remove the existing cmake implementation in Eclipse CDT and include only the one you developed starting in CDT 10. That would mean that cmake4eclipse is shipped to all CDT users via the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers package on eclipse.org/download.

cmake4eclipse is for managed buld. AFAIK from this list, managed buld
is going to be phased out. I do not hink it is worth the effort of
moving it to eclipse foundation.

I see the need for users to have good cmake support easily installed
until core build is mature, but actiually I do not want to maintain it
as a CDT maintainer. Reasons are:

1) I do not do much C devlopment any longer. If it were under the CDT
umbrella, I fear I will loose interest in maintaining it over time.
Having the source on github and the artifacts on bintray, I can enjoy
user feedback and download stats [1] and stay exited.
2) It is easier for users to file issues on github since most of them
already have an account on github. If the plugin is a CDT project,
user will have to create an account on CDT to file issues. And it
might be more likely that issues of the plugin get ignored on the CDT
bug tracker.
3) cmake4eclipse is already well-known (google for it) and even some
open source projects mention it in their 'build with Eclipse' FAQs.
4) Sorry for the rant here: To develop the plugin, I had to deeply
dive into the CDT code base. What a mess: Almost no code
documentation, documentation that lies, no real developer FAQ and lot
of unsued code. Sorry, I do want want to see my properly documented
code among that mess.

If the CDT team want good cmake support for CDT managed build,
wouldn't it be possible to add one of the cmake4eclipse download repos
on bintray [2] to the CDT product? These are build from pristine
sources on travis-ci..org. Or just mirror the github repo inside
Eclipse foundation and build & publish it there?

Martin

[1] 5022721 downloads
https://bintray.com/beta/#/15knots/p2-zip/cmake4eclipse?tab=overview
[2] https://bintray.com/15knots/p2-zip/cmake4eclipse#files