I think we’ll quickly have new functionality on master. The question is whether to release it in September (will it be product quality by then) or December (I’m pretty sure we can get it product quality by then).
Thanks for the info about releases.
Can we wait and see what we have?
I.e. Tag the release, but only bump the version if/when we know there is new functionality?
Thanks Jonah, I just want to make sure we¹re clear that the release review
process and IP log check is not an insignificant amount of work (or I
wouldn¹t ask the question ;). It isn¹t overly onerious either, but I can¹t
speak for the Eclipse Foundation team that does the IP check and manage
the review process.
And, if we¹re only doing a maintenance release, I wouldn¹t bother with the
release cycle either, i.e., the four RC candidates and such, and just take
the latest maintenance release build that we ship.
But if we have significant new functionality that we want to get into the
hands of users and adopters, then it¹s worth that effort.
On 2017-06-07, 11:44 AM, "cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Jonah
Graham" <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
>If we have to do a release anyway for Oxygen.1, may as well make it 9.4
>By "have to do a release" I assume that means test it, check the EPP
>for C/C++ etc. What I don't have an appreciation for is the effort for
>release review/ip log that needs to be done.
>There was a previous concern raised about vendors and users keeping
>up. However, in my experience vendors take releases on their cycle.
>e.g. went from 8.6 -> 9.3 or 8.8 to 9.2. I can't speak for users, but
>I can't see users have a problem with the new features.
>Finally, if we decide that next release is 9.4, then any bug fixes can
>evolve API. Sometimes it can be quite constraining to fix some bugs
>without evolving API. (For clarity I still mean non-breaking API
>Kichwa Coders Ltd.
>On 7 June 2017 at 15:47, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hey gang,
>> We discussed this at the call yesterday. We¹re wondering whether the
>> minor (feature) release, I.e. 9.4, should be in September or December.
>> had discussed this earlier but it¹s probably now time to decide.
>> There are a few things happening feature-wise, in particular the Docker
>> remote project stuff Jeff is working on, Nate and his ever improving C++
>> language support, and other work happening on the CMake front, amongst
>> things. Are these things we want out in September?
>> cdt-dev mailing list
>> To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>> this list, visit
>cdt-dev mailing list
>To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe
>from this list, visit
cdt-dev mailing list
To change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visit