Re: [cdt-dev] Warning about use of nightly builds.

cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/23/2004 05:20:12 PM:

> > This bug brings up a good point. The nightly builds are built against
the
> > latest available Eclipse integration build at the time of the build
> > (Monday-Friday 3 a.m.) As such, there is a good chance that they will
not
> > work against previous Eclipse builds, especially as binary
> > incompatibilities are still possible "as the Eclipse churns", and man
is
> > it churning!
> >
> > Just a friendly reminder that nightly builds are use at your own risk,
but
> > thanks for helping with our test effort :-) If you require a stable
build,
> > please use one of the Milestone builds (e.g. M7 and the upcoming M8).
> >

> 8-)
> The problem is that many integration builds are not usable.  The
> last two integrations were very hard on my mental sanity(GNU/Linux
platform)
> So basically I had to rewind to an "older" one.
> So as a user, I can no longer follow the developement of the CDT(M7 will
not
> work with the latest builds).
>
> How to make this easy for the cdt community ? good question.
> Maybe when the stable "m8" is out, we could use it to do builds instead
of
> the moving integration targets.

I guess it would depend on the purpose of the nightly build. I have set
them up so that as soon as a stable Eclipse integration/milestone build
releases, we have a CDT build that can be used with them. This is what our
testers and internal clients use.

If you need to run new CDT bits against old Eclipse bits, you can always
run out of CVS or even run the build scripts yourselves (hmm, I should
finish that readme...)

Cheers,
Doug

Back to the top