Re: [cdt-cloud-dev] Ongoing Initiative on Hardware Breakpoints in VS Code and Eclipse Theia

Hi everyone,

As a result of the ongoing discussions on our proposal for HW breakpoints in the DAP [1], the maintainers of the protocol have expressed interest in enhancing support for embedded development in DAP and DAP-supporting clients. To move forward, they're seeking concrete examples / scenarios from a user perspective to better understand what is missing in DAP and evaluate how the protocol should be extended without introducing an 'unbounded' configuration scheme.

I'm happy to help gather and process those examples, but your expertise in embedded development is invaluable in this context. So I'm looking for concrete examples that highlight the specifics of hardware breakpoint configuration. Think about the typical configuration properties and hardware-specific properties. Would you be able to provide sketches of such example configurations for your companies' hardware or screenshots with configurations from your companies' current tooling, etc.?
If you have examples or insights that could help shape our proposal, please share them (here, with me directly, or chime in on Github [1], as you prefer).

Your contributions will not only strengthen our case but also ensure the protocol extension meets the needs of our community!

Looking forward to your responses and thank you in advance!

Best wishes,

Philip

[1] https://github.com/microsoft/debug-adapter-protocol/issues/445