Re: [cbi-dev] CBI and GitHub

Hello Chris,

Please see embedded answers below to the parts I can help with.

~~~
Jonah Graham
Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 10:24, Christoph Daniel Schulze <cds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have two questions regarding the integration of GitHub into the build
process.

If I understand the CBI documentation [1] correctly, it is already
possible to trigger Jenkins builds whenever a branch or pull request is
updated on GitHub. Is it also possible to integrate information on
whether the build passed onto pull requests? Are there any Eclipse
projects that are already doing something like this?

Yes you are correct. Many projects do, for example:

LSP4J:

If you have specific questions or problems when setting up the Jenkins then I or others can try to help.

Also, we're currently experimenting with GitHub Actions to perform
integration tests on pull requests and branches. Since they are well
integrated in GitHub, this should be straightforward. On that occasion,
we were wondering to what extend our complete Jenkins build might be
migrated over to GitHub actions. In particular, I feel the following
areas might be problematic:

- Having artifacts signed.
- Pushing artifacts to the Eclipse download servers.
- Pushing artifacts to Maven Central.
- Pushing websites to the website repository.

Has any Eclipse project already experimented with this?

AFAIK you won't be able to do any of those items from GitHub Actions. This topic was recently discussed by the Architecture Council and the main issue to get these items to work is that Eclipse credentials are not available on 3rd party services.

HTH,
Jonah

Cheers,
Chris