Re: [cbi-dev] Procedure to deploy to download.eclipse.org

Andreas, see my comments below

> Le 27 oct. 2015 à 14:11, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> Mikael Barbero wrote:
>> A really nice solution would be to provide something similar to what
>> has been done for jarsigner and other signers at Eclipse: a
>> webservice where you can upload a zipped p2 repository along with
>> some metadata and the service will take care of putting it right
>> where it needs to be, create the composite, etc... It could also make
>> some check like whether the mirrorURL is properly set, use any new
>> compression scheme for p2 repo to reduce bandwidth consumption (like
>> zx) etc... It could also write to information about the repo to PMI!
>
> I think much of this can be tackled by Maven plugins during the build
> already. I can very well imagine tycho-p2-repository:archive-repository
> learning to compress the update site with zx as well.

Of course. We have to weight what has to be done on the client side and on the server side. However, for things that we want to enforce, I think this is much easier to do it on the server side.

> Same thing goes for mirror and stats URIs.

Yes, on the server side we can implement some checks and reject repos that don't meet the criteria instead of doing the actual work. However, I think that everybody will more than happy if the server does most of the hurdle and they don't have to change their build to do it. Moreover, improvements on the server side are much easier to deploy than to convince everybody to use a new version of a Maven plugin ;)

> There is one common resource, however, which I would really like to be
> offered by CBI: a common index.html for update sites that adheres to
> eclipse.org's current theme.

Definitely, that could be one thing with a lot of values for projects.

> At Code Recommenders we use [2] and the maven-remote-resource-plugin to
> copy it into place during out builds [3]. As you can see, [2] can even
> interpolate information from the POM, like ${project.name} or
> ${project.description}.
>
> Is there any interest in picking this up at CBI? I can certainly help
> with the Maven-side of things (e.g., the Velocity template), but would
> probably need some assistance bringing this into proper corporate-design
> shape.

I am really interested in working on something like this. I will draft a document with the ideas and see where it goes.

Cheers,
Mikael