Re: [babel-dev] Release review needed for Babel

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:40, Sean Flanigan <sflaniga@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009-06-22 23:59, Antoine Toulme wrote:
       I believe we should tell people that we were able to fulfill our
       needs
       through our own php script, but that they can certainly hack
       their way
       into the server, using Ruby, Java, or reusing our PHP script, to do
       their own thing.

   Does that mean the web service is pretty much there, Antoine?

No, it's not a web service. It's a PHP script you run locally. I think a
build to create the fragments would need to run locally, or at least
have ways to access to the DB in some way, to extract the fragments.

Oh, you meant they can heck, um, hack, their way into the database server, not the app server.  Right.  Yes, that makes sense, as long as the web UI is 1.0.  Otherwise, we're saying, "Here's a nice translation database.  There's a UI, but you can't count on it yet.  But what a lovely schema!"

As long as the installation story is sorted out, marking 1.0 for the server sounds like a good idea.  But that should probably include Genie or Sync-up, whatever it's called.
There are some scripts that need to be configured in cron. The doc is in the wiki for people to take a look:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Babel_/_Server_Background_jobs

That's always a bit complicated to install stuff with cron - I mean complicated as an extra step after pressing Enter.
There are some tools to do that in ruby:
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/06/09/Whenever

That reminds me: why haven't the Ganymede translations I did for en_AU been carried across to Galileo?  Well, they are there, but they're all marked as suspect, which means they have to be reviewed one by one.  If the resource key and the English text are the same, I don't think they should be marked suspect; it should be safe to copy them.
Even if marked suspect they should be in the lang packs (I think). You can open a bug for us to run a mysql command to do a batch update of those strings.

Thanks,

Antoine

--
Sean Flanigan