Re: [aspectj-users] Met [org.aspectj.lang.NoAspectBoundException] while running a post-compile woven (bytecode woven) apache thrift library

Okay, I think I figured it out. It is not per se a problem with the 3rd party code, I can reproduce it with or without Thrift. The core problem is that the inner class you want to instrument in the library is non-public. To be exact, it is a private, non-static inner class. But what really matters is that it is anything but public/protected, static or not is not so important.

To Andy Clement: Maybe this is a shortcoming in AspectJ and we need a Bugzilla ticket for it, but first I am going to post some sample code here:

package de.scrum_master.app;

public class Application {
  private static class InnerStaticRunnable implements Runnable {
    @Override
    public void run() {
      System.out.println("Running inner static runnable");
    }
  }

  private class InnerRunnable implements Runnable {
    @Override
    public void run() {
      System.out.println("Running inner runnable");
    }
  }

  public void doSomething() {
    new InnerRunnable().run();
  }

    new SomeRunnable().run();
    new Application.InnerStaticRunnable().run();
    new Application().doSomething();
  }
}

package de.scrum_master.aspect;

privileged aspect MyRunnables {
  public interface InstrumentedRunnable {}
  private long InstrumentedRunnable.myid = -1;
  public long InstrumentedRunnable.getMyid() { return myid; }
  public void InstrumentedRunnable.setMyid(long id) { myid = id; }

  declare parents : Runnable+ implements InstrumentedRunnable;

  after() returning(InstrumentedRunnable r) : call(java.lang.Runnable+.new(..)) {
    System.out.println(thisJoinPoint);
    System.out.println("  Runnable: " + r);
    System.out.println("  Has aspect: " + PerRunnable.hasAspect(r.getClass()));
    long id = PerRunnable.aspectOf(r.getClass()).getCounter();
    r.setMyid(id);
    PerRunnable.aspectOf(r.getClass()).incrementCounter();
  }
}

package de.scrum_master.aspect;

privileged aspect PerRunnable pertypewithin(java.lang.Runnable+) {
  public long counter = 0;
  public long getCounter() { return counter; }
  public void incrementCounter() { counter++; }

  after() : staticinitialization(*) {
    System.out.println("getWithinTypeName() = " + getWithinTypeName());
  }
}

Now let's run the code after Ajc compilation and check the console log:

getWithinTypeName() = de.scrum_master.app.SomeRunnable
call(de.scrum_master.app.SomeRunnable())
  Runnable: de.scrum_master.app.SomeRunnable@5674cd4d
  Has aspect: true
Running some runnable
getWithinTypeName() = de.scrum_master.app.Application$InnerStaticRunnable
call(de.scrum_master.app.Application.InnerStaticRunnable(Application.InnerStaticRunnable))
  Runnable: de.scrum_master.app.Application$InnerStaticRunnable@65b54208
  Has aspect: false
Exception in thread "main" org.aspectj.lang.NoAspectBoundException
    at de.scrum_master.aspect.PerRunnable.aspectOf(PerRunnable.aj:1)
    at de.scrum_master.aspect.MyRunnables.ajc$afterReturning$de_scrum_master_aspect_MyRunnables$1$8a935d86(MyRunnables.aj:15)
    at de.scrum_master.app.Application.main(Application.java:24)

Please note "Has aspect: false" right before the exception. Now change the inner classes to public or protected and the code works:

getWithinTypeName() = de.scrum_master.app.SomeRunnable
call(de.scrum_master.app.SomeRunnable())
  Runnable: de.scrum_master.app.SomeRunnable@5674cd4d
  Has aspect: true
Running some runnable
getWithinTypeName() = de.scrum_master.app.Application$InnerStaticRunnable
call(de.scrum_master.app.Application.InnerStaticRunnable())
  Runnable: de.scrum_master.app.Application$InnerStaticRunnable@65b54208
  Has aspect: true
Running inner static runnable
getWithinTypeName() = de.scrum_master.app.Application$InnerRunnable
call(de.scrum_master.app.Application.InnerRunnable(Application))
  Runnable: de.scrum_master.app.Application$InnerRunnable@6b884d57
  Has aspect: true
Running inner runnable

Any comments, Andy?