Re: [adoptium-pmc] Adding committers to Eclipse Temurin Compliance.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for coming up with the work around, I think that'll work well enough for next time (agree with Stewart's thinking as well, the PMC can definitely hold the nominator accountable).

Cheers,
Martijn

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 at 11:42, Stewart Addison <sxa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It would also be reasonable (owing to the special nature of Eclipse Temurin Compliance) to cite contributions to other Adoptium projects.

Personally I don't think that's necessary for this project. Temurin Compliance is always going to be special and that's not because the members particularly want it to be so, but because of the legal agreements we have around mandating that it is handled differently and the regular, timeboxed nature of the work carried out inside it. Whether I knew them personally or not, I honestly cannot personally envisage a situation (maybe if we had too many? That would be nice ...) where I would vote against anyone eligible from joining the temurin compliance effort, which is critical to our releases so extra hands should always be warmly welcomed. The time, and mental drain, required on the part of the people completing the work in Temurin Compliance, particularly now that we'll be doing four releases in parallel next month, is really quite high. Since the people who can join are already restricted by the agreements I would trust that if another eligible company, for example  Microsoft,  had chosen to submit that person as a member they would be a suitable candidate and would trust that decision. Also in mind that unlike a normal open-source repository, everything related to Temurin Compliance is private and you have to be a contributor before you can attempt to do anything in it, making prior contributions to that area before joining impossible as you cannot just submit a PR or do any work in there until you're accepted in, so IMHO the bar should ideally be as low as possible subject TO the legal agreements of the project. I'm happy to rubber stamp additions from other companies, but be aware that's what it will be for the reasons above. TL;DR I'll pretty much take anyone ;-)

To provide a concrete example I don't think Cynthia or Ivy contribute elsewhere else at Adoptium, but their contributions - unique to the Temurin Compliance project - are very much valued, and I'd heartily welcome others joining in a comparable limited capacity whether I already knew them or not (In fact I'd be delighted if we were able to have more companies join the Temurin Compliance agreements and submit people to do the same and help out particularly for some of our secondary platforms to reduce delivery times, but that's a separate discussion).