[stem-dev]  Global Pervasive Computational Epidemiology Seminar Series

Subject:
 Global Pervasive Computational Epidemiology Seminar Series: Simon Levin and Dylan Morris (Princeton)
When:
 Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:30 AM-12:30 PM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).
Where:

https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95415694738

...new Global Pervasive Computational Epidemiology Seminar Series on topics relating to the Expeditions project. Seminars will be held the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM Eastern time. The first 30 minutes will be a presentation from our speaker(s), followed by time reserved afterwards for questions and discussion. Please forward this invitation to any who may be interested to attend.

Zoom link for seminar: https://virginia.zoom.us/j/95415694738

Our first speakers on June 11 are Simon Levin and Dylan Morris from Princeton. Please see the attached flyer and the abstract for their talk below:

Optimal, near-optimal, and robust epidemic control

Dylan H. Morris, Fernando W. Rossine, Joshua B. Plotkin, Simon A. Levin

The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the need for control measures that reduce the epidemic peak ("flattening the curve"). Here we derive the optimal time-limited intervention for reducing peak epidemic prevalence in the standard Susceptible-Infectious-Recovered (SIR) model. We show that alternative, more practical interventions can perform nearly as well as the provably optimal strategy. However, none of these strategies are robust to implementation errors: mistiming the start of the intervention by even a single week can be enormously costly, for realistic epidemic parameters. Sustained control measures, though less efficient than optimal and near-optimal time-limited interventions, can be used in combination with time-limited strategies to mitigate the catastrophic risks of mistiming.

Upcoming seminar speakers will be announced as they are scheduled. We hope to see everyone at our first seminar on Thursday June 11!

Back to the top