[epl-discuss] Source distribution and network users of the licensed work / ASP loophole

Hi,

While thinking about the implications of licensing a work under the
EPL, I checked the license about "usage via network". For instance, if
one forks Eclipse Orion, improves it significantly and makes that
available online for a monthly fee, he is not required to publish the
source code again, is he? If it was Eclipse and he sold an Eclipse
variant, only the changes in the "core" (EPL-covered-part) of Eclipse
had to be published again. This is not the case in the Orion example,
is it?

In other words, I'm asking for an improvement similar what Affero did
to the GPL: closing the "ASP loophole".

Greetings,

Oliver

Back to the top