Re: [egit-dev] Installing EGit on windows - issues and what I have done so far

On 25 Sep 2010, at 14:36, "Charles Corrigan" <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2010 at 12:47, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It sounds like EGit didn't install properly.

Ok, so neither EGit mor JGit installed. Were there any error messages after you tried to install it?

> On 25 Sep 2010, at 11:23, Remy Chi Jian Suen <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Either a) put it elsewhere (I just throw it in D:\) or b) run
>> Eclipse as administrator.
>
> In the long run a fix is better.

Eclipse writes a lot of files into the location where it is installed. Installing as one user and running as another means that you cannot update or install new features - this is no different from (say) FireFox.

> While I was looking for a solution in the
> community forum, it appeared that there has been an issue with windows
> installations for some time.
> Random thought: there's possibly an un-escaped file path somewhere in the
> EGit and/or JGit installation mechanism. The default location to install
> programs on windows is under the "C:\Program Files" hierarchy.

Neither EGit nor JGit are in control of the update mechanism - that's controlled by Eclipse. So it would be the same for any other installation. You can verify this as Eclipse 3.6.1 has just been released - you can do "check for updates" and it will attempt to download and install a bunch of stuff. (that's assuming you downloaded it a few days ago ... You might have picked up 3.6.1 already :-)

Basically it is how Eclipse works - using a space in the name wont be a problem but if you are installing as an administrator user in one location and then wanting to run it as another user then you need to follow additional setup and configuration steps as noted in the help guide relating to multiple user installs.

Alex

Back to the top