Re: [eclipse-dev] Advice on working with GitHub

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 9:44 AM Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx> wrote:
> That is something we can fix in our Jenkinsfile, using the `post { unstable { ... } failure { ... }}` blocks to conditionally send a mail.

Mickael, do you mean, one could improve https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11 ?

Yes.

Could you please push a PR with the proposed change?

I'll try, but may forget about it within a few minutes after processing some other emails/reviews.

This is not true, current state is that on all platform repos except resources I have to keep dozens of tabs open in browser and regularly poll what is going on with which PR.

Do I get it right that if we add the comment similarly to https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11 on all repos, this particular issue would be fixed?
Another approach (not that we need to pick one or the other but we can try both) is to ask GitHub to send notification for PR votes even if there is no comment.

I get a massive spam on issues/PR's I'm not interested in

Yes, by default you're subscribed to all activity on the repo. You can unsubscribe from that at repo level, or unsubscribe to particular issues/PRs.

but don't get a simple notification on PR's I'm working on.

Are you referring to the build notification only; or some other notifications you're missing?

Switching to a different workstation / notebook (e.g. from Linux to Windows) and I miss everything - I have to remember what PR was requiring my attention. That is a constant pain, especially because github fails to provide even basic functionality available in gerrit - list of PR's I'm working on or where my review is requested or where I've commented something.

You can probably achieve that with search like https://github.com/issues?q=is%3Aopen+iloveeclipse+archived%3Afalse+

So having at least proper mail notifications on PR build status would be really useful.

We can improve the Jenkinsfile to have that. Can you please open a dedicated issue for that and add me as Assignee so I can try to look at it later.

Back to the top