Re: [eclipse-dev] Advice on working with GitHub

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 10:44 AM Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx> wrote:
> - Builds completing - I have to go back and check PRs to see if the build is complete. This one is partially solved, but is imperfect -
> see https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11

Yea, I miss build notifications a lot, because while working on multiple PR's it is hard to track which one is in which state (still running/failed/passed).

> That is something we can fix in our Jenkinsfile, using the `post { unstable { ... } failure { ... }}` blocks to conditionally send a mail.

Mickael, do you mean, one could improve https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11 ?

Could you please push a PR with the proposed change?

> However, note that in the times of Gerrit, people received notifications for each build.
> So the current state is almost identical to how things were earlier.

Current state *where* is "almost identical to how things were earlier".

This is not true, current state is that on all platform repos except resources I have to keep dozens of tabs open in browser and regularly poll what is going on with which PR.
I get a massive spam on issues/PR's I'm not interested in, but don't get a simple notification on PR's I'm working on. Insane.
Switching to a different workstation / notebook (e.g. from Linux to Windows) and I miss everything - I have to remember what PR was requiring my attention. That is a constant pain, especially because github fails to provide even basic functionality available in gerrit - list of PR's I'm working on or where my review is requested or where I've commented something.

Hmm, I use https://github.com/pulls and it gives me list of my prs/assigned/mentioned/review requests . Are you aware of it?

So having at least proper mail notifications on PR build status would be really useful.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov