Re: [udig-devel] Problems with refresh.xml in net.refractions.udig.libs

> Another issue I hope someone could help me with, is the org.apache.log4j
> dependency in the libs project. Why is this dependency not downloaded by
> refresh.xml into the lib catalog?

The problem is actually the other way around; we are supposed to make
a separate plugin for each jar - and because of a conflict between the
Java plugin system (called factory service provider interface) and the
eclipse plugin system (OSGi) we have been stuck.

Putting all the jars into net.refractions.udig.libs is a workaround -
one we would *really* like to see fixed. There have been a number of
people that have done it themselves - most recently Harald Wellman
made a proposal here
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Add+bundle+information+to+jar+manifest).
However the work remains undone at the present time.

The good news is that the OSGi plugin system has become more popular,
adopted by Spring and NetBeans so I hope to see an automated solution
to this one.

> Instead the jar is packaged into the the org.apache.log4j project, which is not visible in the libs project.

This is a case where log4j used to be provided by eclipse; and they
pulled it at some point. In this case we did the correct thing and
made a plugin wrapper for it so we could continue work. The libs
project depends on log4j and should be able to see it; if there is any
problem let me know.